Wines/Lebanon/Mount Lebanon/Chateau Belle Vue
Lebanon is among the oldest sites of wine production in the world., dating easily back to the ancient Israelites of the first millenium BC. The Phoenicians of its coastal strip were instrumental in spreading wine and viticulture throughout the Mediterranean in ancient times. Despite the many conflicts of the region, the country has an annual production of about 600,000 cases of wine. Recently the sector has been witnessing an unprecedented growth and today there are some 30 wineries in Lebanon, with production concentrated in the Bekaa Valley. Production is generally from Bordeaux varieties (Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot) and Rhone varieties (Cinsault, Carignane, Syrah)
Chateau Belle Vue is located high on the slopes of Mount Lebanon, far above the commercial producers in the valley below. Working entirely by hand in their organic vineyards outside the village of Bhamdoun, owners Naji and Jill Boutros maintain their vineyards to produce extremely low yields, dry farming to produce small, thick-skinned grapes of wonderful color and concentration.
After hand-harvesting, the grapes are fermented naturally with indigenous yeasts. The fermentation proceeds slowly over 3-4 weeks and then the new wine is stored in stainless until malolactic fermentation is completed. the wines are then aged in new French oak barrels for 24 months before blending and bottling. The wines are further aged for a minimum of two years in bottle before release.
Chateau Belle vue
lA RENAISSANCE 2007
- Production: 14,000 bottles
- Varietals: 60% Merlot, 40% Cabernet Sauvignon
- Alcohol: 14.5%
- Appearance: Deep crimson red.
- Nose: Harmonious bouquet of blackberries, sweet cherries, cocoa and balsamic eucalyptus.
- Palate: Great intensity with a very long finish. Wild ripe berries and toasted cocoa notes, with fresh black plums and soft cinnamon. Smooth and well-structured tannins suggest very favorable bottle aging.
Le Chateau 2007
- Production: 2500 bottles and 300 Magnums
- Varietals: 40% Cabernet Franc, 40% Syrah, 10% Merlot, 10% Cabernet Sauvignon.
- Alcohol: 15%
- Appearance: Deep red nearly black color.
- Nose: Delicate and perfumed nose. Black currant and cherry aromas with sandalwood, cedar and earthy notes. Will evolve grandly.