Wines / Spain / Rioja / Bodegas Valdelana
With a history of settlement dating to the Neolithic period and cellars dating back 500 years, Valdelana is one of the most venerable properties in Rioja.
The Valdelana Family have been growers in Rioja since the late 19th century. The bodega currently produces grapes from 150 hectares of choice vineyards.
Bodegas Valdelana is situated in Elciego, noble birthplace of Rioja Alavesa wines, and it is located between Sierra de Cantabria Mountains and the Ebro River. Three essential quality factors make up these wines: the soil, the climate and the grape variety.
- Soil: the chalky-clay, ochre-colour soil endows a delicate aroma and smooth palate, resulting in full-bodied wines that are perfect for ageing.
- Climate: the latitude and altitude of this sub-area result in the perfect climate for vine cultivation for two reasons; it is protected from the Northerly winds by the Cantabrian Mountains and the south easterly orientation of the vineyards towards the Ebro, known as “carasol” (sun facing), ensures optimum ripening.
- Grape varieties: 97% of Rioja Alavesa wine is based on Tempranillo complemented with Graciano, both indigenous varieties of Rioja, free of foreign influence.
Rioja Valdelana Eder "Joven"
- 95% Tempranillo, 5% Viura. Vinified in Inox and designed to be consumed young and fresh.
Rioja Valdelana Eder "Crianza"
- 95% Tempranillo, 5% Mazuelo. Vinified in Inox, aged 6 months in barrel and 6 months in bottle before release. Ageing potential, 5-15 years.